Tuesday 30 September 2008

My first blog

Not only is this my first blog, this is my first week living in the 'big city' of London. For a just-turned twenty one year old from the South Wales valleys, it can be a hugely daunting experience.

Moving to a city where I have yet to meet another person from my side of the world has been both new and exciting but I have great sympathy for those who have traveled from afar and have no opportunity to use their home language.

Although Welsh is certainly a minority language, there is no doubt that over the last few years there has been a rapid growth in it's use.

With the opening of the Welsh assembly, people have come to accept that it is actually used widely within communities across the country and that bilingual signs should exist in public places.

I am always reminded of my grandparents' experience when they were children, when people became almost embarrassed to use their own language.

A recent BBC Trust report revealed that Wales, behind Scotland and Northern Ireland, is extremely under-represented in the news.

I would love to think that I could contribute to giving Wales a fair place within the British media, starting with giving light to the sudden growth of a language that has almost been forgotten for the last few decades.













London (above)
Home (below)


No comments: