Sunday 5 October 2008

Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade...my Harrods experience






























Images: Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade


I was taking some time out this Saturday to take a trip into central London, to do a couple of 'touristy' things.


I had been to Harrods once as a kid one Christmas, and remember thinking how huge it was in there.

Unlike most things that always look larger than life when your a child and actually aren't that big, Harrods is still huge!

When leaving to head to the Knightsbridge tube station I had absolutely no idea that I would be bombarded by anti-fur campaigners outside the Harrods entrance.

Anti-fur protesters

I am aware of the very influential campaign against companies who make their money from selling fur clothing but had no idea that every Saturday this was going on.

They are furious that Harrods are selling items made from the likes of beavers, rabbits, wolves and squirrels. It remains the only department store in the UK who sells them.

If only I'd known before spending my money

A feeling of utter guilt came over me that I had only five minutes ago spent £5.50 on some food and drink in there. If only I had seen them before entering, I certainly would have reconsidered spending my money.

I have always had great admiration for people who give up their time to protest against things that really do matter. It is a topic that I had never seen being protested against before and I believe that this is the way you can really reach the public like no other.

This along with a number of other issues should be explored much more within the media which would certainly contribute to supporting the coalition against the fur trade.

Even so, I have been convinced this weekend that there are people who really do care about these issues and that the best way possible of touching people is to be public with your opinions.

No comments: